How to set up student-led conferences
A student-led conference differs from a normal conference in that there are no appointments with specific teachers. Instead the parents book a timed period during which they will attend the school with their children, who will be showing them their work and meeting with multiple teachers.
How to set up a student-led conference
To set up a student-led conference, you will need to use the Events section instead of the Conferences one. Not all schools will have this as part of their licence - you can check this via the Licence section of your Administrator Home page. If you do not have the Events module please contact us to discuss pricing.
- Click Events on the navigation bar at the left.
- Click Add Event.
- If you are asked if you'd like to copy from a previous event, select No then click Next
- Fill out the basic details for the event.
Use the title and information boxes to make it clear that the event is a student-led conference and under Type of event select Other.
- Open Bookings, when set, means that the event will not be open for booking until that date and time. If you leave it blank, the event will be bookable as soon as it has been created. If parents log in before bookings are open they will see this date, so that they know when they can start booking.
- Finally in this section you can allow parents the option to add a message when they make a booking. This message will be visible to the admins when they view bookings. For more on how to view bookings on your events please see this article.
- You can now click Next and move on to the Sessions section which is where you add details of your event, as well as any additional sessions which are part of the overall event.
- Close Date for Bookings , when set, prevents parents from making any bookings after that date and time. If you leave it blank, parents will be able to make and amend bookings right up until the event ends. When parents log in they see this date, if it is in the past. You can apply this to all sessions or a different close date per session.
Each session has a name, a date, a start and end time, and a capacity. In the case of a Student-led conference the capacity of each session will be the number of students involved. You can add additional sessions by clicking the blue Add Other button.
- Lastly you can limit the number of tickets (or places, etc) in this event, that can be booked. This can be a limit by Student or by Family, you can also specify whether they can split that allocation across sessions. In the case of a Student-led conference this will usually be set to a student limit of 1.
- You can now click Next and move on to the Students section which is where you can use Add Filters to specify who this event is available to. You can either apply the same filter to the whole event, or you can make different sessions within the event open to different groups of students. For more on filters please see Using the student filters.
- Once this section has been completed click Save at the foot of the page. Your event is now configured and ready to use. All these sections can be revisited and edited at any time via Events > Go to Event > Configure Event.